Liana Liberato: The Best Little Ingenue in Texas

Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa

Liana Liberato - The Best Little Ingenue in Texas

by James Patrick Herman  Photographs by Jeff Vespa
At the tender age of eighteen, Liana Liberato has already aced drama, comedy, action-thrillers and horror at the movies. All that’s missing is a musical—unless you count that Miley video!
  Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa  Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa  Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa
Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa  Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa  Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa   Liana Liberato Verge Photo by Jeff Vespa
Where are you from?
“Galveston, a wonderful little island with cobblestone streets.”

What’s the most Texan thing about you?
“My love for barbecue.”

When did the acting bug first bite?
“My mom put me in theater when I was three because she didn’t want me to be shy. And I ended up falling in love with it.”

What can a three year old learn about theater?
“It was mainly dancing on stage, singing, waving my hands. I didn’t start acting professionally until the age of nine. I first asked my parents if I could move to L.A. when I was seven but they wouldn’t let me.”

I’m not surprised.
“They said I could probably come out a few years later. They thought I would forget all about it. I didn’t and I pleaded with my parents to enroll me in an acting classes in Hollywood. It just so happened that there were some agents auditing my class. And they asked me to sign with them. As my career gradually gained momentum, we started going back and forth between here and Texas. I built my resume on television show appearances and when I began working frequently, we decided to make Los Angeles our new home. I was like one of the Beverly Hillbillies running around town.”

Speaking of hillbillies, how did you end up in a music video for “7 Things” with Miley Cyrus?
“I was thirteen at the time. My friend was going to audition for it and I planned on sitting in the waiting room. The casting director asked me if I wanted to be in the video, too, and I ended up getting a part. Brett Ratner was the director and he asked all the girls: ‘Who can cry on cue?’ And I said: I can! And he was like: ‘Go up there and cry—while you’re lip-syncing.’ ”

Do you remember any lyrics to the song?
“I know every single word. I had to listen to it for three days in a row.”

You played Anna Paquin’s daughter in Free Ride, which premiered at the Hamptons Film Festival earlier this year.

“Anna has been working in this industry since she was younger than I am. So she had this protective aura about her and was very nurturing.”

You’ve held your own onscreen with several other Oscar-winning actors such as Nicole Kidman and Nicolas Cage in 2011’s Trespass.

“That was surreal for me. I’ve always looked up to Nicole Kidman because she’s so tall and that was always a downfall for me when I was younger. I was tall but I had this young face so I would never get any parts.”

But still the hype began at an early age for you. Do you recall gracing the cover of The New York Times Magazine in 2006?
“It was a story about children in the business. I had never looked at The New York Times Magazine before and I didn’t think it was a big deal at the time. I was like, Oh, cool a magazine cover. Yay! Now I’m gonna go climb a tree. My mind was on other things.”

You’re clearly focused on your career now. What do you consider your big break?
“When I was fourteen, I did a film called Trust with Clive Owen, Catherine Keener and Viola Davis that was directed by David Schwimmer. I’m proud of that film and it helped me to get noticed.”

How did you manage to land the lead role?
“I worked hard to get an audition and I got lucky. I was looking for something that was going to challenge me and I felt that was the right part. I played a girl named Annie who starts a relationship with a boy on the Internet…who turns out to be 40 years old and sexually molests me. The movie is about the aftermath and how it affects me and my family.”

Were you hesitant to take part in such a controversial movie?
“I looked at it as an honor to be able to stand up for girls who have actually been through something like that. It’s a real thing that happens every single day. So it was a privilege to put this story on the screen.”

This summer’s romantic comedy Stuck in Love must have been a refreshing change of pace from your more serious fare.
“That was the first time I ever got to work with other actors my own age. It was different for me because I’m so used to working with older people. I got to be a kid on the set, which was fun. This was a film that was close to Josh Boone’s heart. It was his directorial debut and he never dreamed that he’d get Jennifer Connelly, who is his favorite actress ever.”

Yet another Oscar winner! What have you learned from all your Academy Award-winning costars?
“Just how to carry myself in a way. And my own process, which I am still learning. As an actress it’s good to feed off other people. I’ve got to learn from the best.”

What would be your dream role?
“I’ve always wanted to play Lisa, Angelina Jolie’s character from Girl, Interrupted. That’s a cool, meaty role that I’d like to dive into. Also, there are people I’d love to work with like Michelle Williams and Ben Affleck. I have a lot of ambitions.”

I’ll say. Did you ever have a normal job?
“I was studying for an audition to play the part of a waitress so I got a waitressing job to prepare for it. Does that count?”

Interview With Other Stars HERE


* Liana is one my teen stars to get naked before she is 21, at most 23. I can't explain the certainty I feel every time I gaze upon the talented Texan. I just know we're going to see her tits in couple of years.


You have read this article with the title Liana Liberato: The Best Little Ingenue in Texas. You can bookmark this page URL http://duk78.blogspot.com/2013/11/liana-liberato-best-little-ingenue-in.html. Thanks!